Tuesday, August 24, 2010

August 24 - Stuffed Pork Cutlets Served with Beer Sauerkraut and Dumplings

One colleague noticed that I only have one Austrian dish in my recipe blogs. So he offered to share his collection of Austrian recipes. The combination of pork cutlets, sauerkraut and dumplings was interesting enough for my kids.

The stuffed pork cutlet came out tasty. Make sure that you take the time to marinade the pork with salt, pepper and garlic.

Same thing with the beer sauerkraut, I gave it an hour to simmer. It is not the usual sour tasting cabbage. The caraway is optional, although I think, it gave the disk the wonderful aroma.

My son liked the dumplings. I used the sweet Vidalia onion and fresh parsley to give this recipe a kick.


Stuffed Pork Cutlet
Ingredients
Stuffed Pork Cutlets:
6 pork cutlets or steaks (about 2" by 6, about 1/2 inch thick)
4 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper
6 fresh sausages link (take out the skin)
olive oil
Beer Sauerkraut:
1 head cabbage, thinly sliced
1 large onion, thinly sliced
salt and pepper
1 tsp caraway seeds
1 cup or bottle of beer
Dumplings:
6 mini brioche rolls, crumbled
2 eggs
1 cup milk
olive oil
salt
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Cooking Time (1 hour)
Season the pork steaks with garlic, salt and pepper.
Set aside for 45 minutes.
Cook the beer sauerkraut.
Heat the olive oil in a wok and saute the onions.
Add the beer and the cabbage.
Season with salt, pepper and caraway seeds.
Simmer the cabbage for 1 hour.
Prepare the dumplings.
Mix all the ingredients for the dumplings.
Divide the mixture into 9 portions.
Using a plastic wrap, wrap a portion and shape it into a ball.
Microwave the dumplings for at least 3 minutes.
Cook the stuffed pork cutlets.
Stuff each cutlet with a portion of the sausage filling.
Fold the cutlet into half.
You can use a panini grill to cook the cutlet for 10 minutes.
Or you can fry the cutlets on both sides using a shallow pan.

1 comment:

  1. Actually I didn't notice - I complained! ;)
    But it looks delicious! Didn't I mention that you have to bring me one piece into the office so that I can do a tasting! ;)

    ReplyDelete